Thursday, October 9, 2008

Making Spiritual Parenting Work

Good morning spiritual sons and daughters!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted! Wow, September flew by...finished a fun sermon series called "Game Time" and last weekend we kicked off 40 Days of Community! My son James and I had an incredible father-son time attending the Illini vs. Michigan game at the "Big House" in Ann Arbor, MI. We were on the sidelines and just had a blast!




Am currently in San Diego visiting our newest granchild, Titus James Grogan! He was born September 21st and became "Jewish" yesterday if you know what I mean! :) It's such a joy bonding with my California grandchildren and being with my son and daughter-in-law!

All of this has made me think about spiritual fathering again. Here's some quick thoughts:

+Got to make time investments in order for it to work.
+Take the iniative as a spiritual son or daughter to spend some time together with a spiritual hero.
+The causal but real times of discussing life, ministry and family while driving down the highway are absolutely priceless! Make sure they happen.
+Fathers need the feedback on new books to read and sermon ideas as much as spiritual children need them! Keep things flowing back and forth.
+Sons & daughters develop their own personalities, styles, tastes and preferences and it's the way it should be. If a "spiritual parent" tries to make you into them, run! A true parent allows space.
+Be sure and express your love and friendship to each other. I make sure I verbalize things like, "I love you," "You really handled that well," "I am proud of you and what you are doing," and "It's just great hanging out with you!"

Gotta go. James and I are going on an hour hike up a San Diego mountation to check out a new view!

I believe in you all! Papa G.

2 comments:

Paul Hinzman said...

I would love to connect with you and brain storm on a family series. I want to challenge parents and talk about the purity thing I did with my daughter. Can we?

Papa Grogan said...

Yes, I have a ton of materials on this subject, just let me know. Hope we get to go deer hunting in a week!