Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What To Do When You Feel Like You've Bombed!

I proved yesterday in chapel at North Central Univeristy (NCU) in Mpls, MN that no matter how much experience you have in preaching--it is possible to "bomb!" I preached (tried to!) on "Overcoming Racism" which is a topic I have preached on many times. Anyhow, I am just not happy with how I did--the subject matter was good but my delivery just did not go as well as I think it should have gone. I also perhaps went a bit over time which I rarely do and that bugged me to.

I know I am really physically tired from weeks of hetic ministry schedules but at the same time I 'hit home runs' in five different class lectures and a discipleship lecture this morning for a missions team.

Only those with massive ego's wouldn't admit they have never bombed at preaching. When you know you can do better and you don't it causes some melancholy. So the question is--how do you handle those feelings? Here's some helpful tips to keep you preaching:

1. I think it is good this happens occasionally because it humbles us and reminds us how much we need the Holy Spirit's help no matter how little or how much experience we have.
2. It helps keep our pride in check. That ugly thing is our downfall.
3. It proves we are not the center of the universe.
4. It proves the Biblical statements "the foolishness of preaching."
5. It proves we are human and not ministry robots/machines.
6. It is short lived. For those preaching every week like youth pastors and others as soon as you're done with this weeks sermon you start thinking about next week!
7. It gives you incentive to do better next time! Prepare better, pray more, (for those starting out) practice more and for old guys like me, be rested!

Some thoughts to encourage my sons and daughters in the faith who perhaps feel you bombed the last time you preached/taught. I believe in you and know God has called this generation to do great things for our Lord. May these words from a Spiritual Father encourage you greatly today! Papa G.

No comments: