Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Assumptions and Losses

Good evening Sons & Daughters,

I just got back from a week of ministry in jolly old England with Paul Alexander, President at Mattersey Hall Bible College in Mattersey, enjoyed visiting the oldest wooden church in the world at Essex (the Greensted Church late 6th/early 7th century!) with my dear friend Pastor Ken Williamson and then wonderful ministry at a Men's Retreat & Sunday Service with Pastor Doug Williams of Evangel Christian Centre in Walthamstow, East London.

Was standing in line at 4:10 AM @ London Heathrow this past Monday waiting to board Air France for Lagos, Nigeria for five days of fellowship, friendship and ministry with my dear Elder Blessing Adeoye (after completing his PHD & working professionally, he gave up a rich career to minister to some of the poorest of the poor in that vast city of Lagos) and realized I did not have a Visa for Nigeria! I took the subway (called The Tube) into London and waited for 3 hours at the Nigerian Embassy to no avail. Back to Heathrow airport and was able to jump a plane and come home!

My assumption in not checking details for this trip ended up in loses. Here's some life-lessons for my sons & daughters so you can live smarter, avoid my dumb mistakes and be more blessed than me:

1. Superintendent Ernie Moen use to say, "Attention to details brings success." I was not successful because I did not check all the details. Some I did, but one of the most important I overlooked. Lesson: Check & re-check details so success is guaranteed.

2. I called Elder Blessing via his wife Florence and told her I could not make it. Then I called him yesterday to find out he did not sleep well Monday night because he was so disappointed. He had worked, planned and prayed so hard and yet my arrival fell through. Lesson: When we fail in checking details & leave something undone it causes pain in the ones we love.

3. I was totally exhausted from so much travel, ministry and then the stress of plans not working out. Lesson: Assumptions can cause personal exhaustion, embarrssment, and trials (makes you feel really dumb!).

So all of you sons and daughters please make sure as you continue to grow in your experience and confidence that you still check details, follow through on promises, and do your hardest work on the front end of things. An ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure. Be encouraged with Galatians 5:16, it is my prayer for you.

I love you passionately as father,

Papa G.

7 comments:

Called To Be Uncommon said...

Hey pastor! I didn't realize you had a blogspot here until I saw your message on myspace. NOW I can keep up with you. Check out family blog when you get a chance (I think you can just click on my name). I try to keep it updated but fail miserably so friends are appointed to send reminders. ;) Hope you and fam are doing well. And THANK YOU for the prayers.

Paul Hinzman said...

I'm glad you're home!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wisdom.

Papa Grogan said...

Thanks Val and be blessed!

Papa Grogan said...

Kermit, you are awesome!

Papa Grogan said...

Kermit, you are awesome!

Papa Grogan said...

Paul. thanks for the opportunity