Monday, June 8, 2009

Observations from my “Motherland” Ministry Trip

Just finished an awesome time of ministry in England (the motherland!) with my friends Paul Alexander and Ken Williamson. With Paul I did a whole week of lectures at the college where he serves as Principal at Mattersey Hall and with Ken an elders meeting and morning and evening services.

Here are some ministry observations:
1. Ministering to college students is incredibly rewarding-- I have this deep sensing of shaping future ministries and lives. They are not as stuck in the rut of life and are so eager to learn. Investing in others no matter the sacrifice is what makes ministry satisfying.
2. I absolutely love it when young people show a hunger for the things of God by asking questions. Ricky Spindler and Wayne Northup are some of the best I have seen at asking questions. It is the position of a continual learner. I need to be a continual learner and ask lots of questions.
3. It was fun speaking on the Holy Spirit baptism on Pentecost Sunday a week ago. I did so in a creative way at Langold in Northern England and a few folks were Holy Spirit baptized. Being hosted by a young sharp student, Marcus from Mattersey, was a great way to start my time there. I cannot leave the message of the Holy Spirit baptism out and being a good host helps others do a better job.
4. Traveling from Northern England to London with Shawn on a train going 125 miles an hour and being on the Internet was a wonder of technology! Going that fast and doing Skype with my son-in-law and granddaughter was a cool moment in time. Being willing to learn new techy things will help me.
5. Having a global plan on my cell phone so I can do calls & texts and receive both has really been handy and helpful. Thanks Ed Burnson! Communication is what makes life, family, everything work right!
6. The similarities between Bethel Church in East London and Stone Creek in Urbana, IL USA are amazing. I love what God is doing around the world. Being with my friend Ken Williamson is always fun and crazy! Proof that the effort it takes to have good friendship is worth it. To have friends, we have to show ourselves friendly by making the time to get together, communicating, and taking initiative.
7. I look forward to the High Holiday where we celebrate our Independence from the Motherland! j/k (Ken Williamson says “why” when I can have pork pie!)

Love you and believe in you, Papa G.

1 comment:

Jenilee said...

I just wanted to comment and let you know that I appreciated your article in the Enrichment Journal. I'm going to be speaking/teaching at an MPact Girl's Retreat in Ohio next week and will have some time to talk to the sponsors/leaders. I am excited to pass some of this article to them because it is a great way to think about the Holy Spirit and teaching others about spirit baptism. Thank you!