Monday, January 26, 2009

Rest, Fun and Hard Work

I am basking in the goodness of God after another wonderful Sunday at Stone Creek Church. Lead Pastors know preaching on money is often a pressure thing but in our series entitled “Blueprint” we finished talking about “Giving” yesterday. I am so grateful for the way the people responded. By the 3rd service I was actually having fun preaching on a subject I would just as soon avoid!

Here’s a few thoughts in my heart right now:
● Truly taking a day off and time off to rest is so important to maintaining a good attitude about life and ministry. A weekly Sabbath is Biblical you know!

● Fun is a big part of my theology and in order to stay sane with all the difficulties we deal with in ministry we have to learn to not take ourselves so seriously! Got to keep the joy flowing! That’s why I’m posting the pix of Bonnie and I from Lynette’s (former PA) wedding this past summer! O the joy in my old age! 



● Without hard work none of this will work properly. Ricky Spindler, my youth pastor and I were visiting with another minister recently and he asked some great questions: “What is the minimum size a youth group should be that has a full-time employed youth pastor?” “A youth pastor asked me how many hours he should be expected to work per week!” (He thought he was over-worked but when we checked he was only working about 25 hours per week!)

What this shows me is that there are ministers who lack the passion that comes with a divine call! I have noticed two extremes we need to avoid: [1] Those who sacrifice their families & marriage on the altar of the ministry. [2] Those who have made an idol out of their family and marriage. Both extremes are wrong and must be avoided to be successful in life and ministry.

There is no substitute for hard work and passion. Selah. Enjoy the pix!
Love you,
Papa G.

2 comments:

Tom Thomasson said...

Preach the whole brother! Keep doing what God has told you to do. If people don't like it, they can take up with the Heavenly Father.

Anonymous said...

You mean not all youth pastors work 80 hours a week and do so without ANY paycheck? Ha!