Thursday, August 28, 2008

My recent fall and hospitalization

From: Monday, January 14, 2008

For My Friends,
I slipped on the ice in front of my house on Dec. 17th and ended up being in the hospital for 3 days with BPPV (vertigo). Missed preaching one Sunday and then had to use a cane on Dec. 30th but am doing much better now. Instead of dizziness I just have the "wave thing" going on. Am excercising and trustting God for total healing. If you are suffering in some way or no someone who is, I hope this article helps.
Bless you all, Papa G.

Being ill/injured has really reinforced some life lessons for me this Christmas that I want to pass on to you:
1. It gives you a new compassion for the sick and afflicted. Certainly none of us ever want to just go through the motions and do ministry. Even when people seem to drive us crazy at times, we never want to lose our compassion for the hurting and needy. Compassion is something we need to ask the Lord for so we can keep our ministries real. I never want to minister with dry eyes—my prayer is that all of us do our ministries with 'moist eyes.'

2. It gives you a deep appreciation for all health care workers. I received great care at Provena Hospital from every doctor, nurse, tech person and staff member. Dr. Todd Kiskadden, one of the doctors of our church even came to visit me Sunday morning and prayed for me—I was so incredibly touched. Hats off to health care workers who express kindness, patience and tenderness for the sick and afflicted in our communities. They have disciplined themselves to learn, study, and be equipped to serve others. I cannot say enough about the great care given me by Dr. Frank Wrestler and a host of nurses and hospital staff. I am so grateful and thankful.

3. It makes you thankful for simple acts of human kindness. As I was being wheeled down different hallways at Provena, people were patting me on the shoulder and saying things like 'praying for you pastor,' 'love you pastor' and receiving phone calls, visits and gifts from so many from our wonderful leadership team and church family made me so thankful. Kindness is such a force of power and when you are laid low by illness or injury it gives you such hope and encouragement which absolutely builds your faith.

I think sometimes we think we shouldn't say things like, "if you need anything" or "if there is anything I can do please let me know."—but the truth is those words are incredible powerful, helpful and full of healing! Of course anytime we say that and someone contacts us for help we need to make sure we follow through and do what we promised. But so many said those kinds of things and it strengthened me greatly.

God is with us this Christmas. And just as He is helping me and encouraging me through this time in my life, I am confident that "We are well aware that God works with those who love him, those who have been called in accordance with his purpose, and turns everything to their good." Romans 8:28 NJB

Everyone needs encouragement and hope. You might even forward this note on to people you care about. May God bless you and your family.

No comments: